Successful Second At-Large Summit (ATLAS II) Produces Significant Achievements on the Theme of "Global Internet: The User Perspective"
The ICANN 50th Meeting saw many significant achievements for the At-Large community as approximately 150 At-Large Structure representatives from around the world convened for the Second At-Large Summit (ATLAS II) which was held concurrently.
The ATLAS II was an opportunity for ICANN's global end-user community to meet, learn, discuss, mentor and influence policy on the theme of "Global Internet: The User Perspective".
The achievements of the At-Large representatives in London include an ATLAS II Declaration which provides a series of recommendations and observations for ensuring that the User Perspective is placed at the center of ICANN activities.
Main ATLAS II Achievements
The main achievements of the ATLAS II are:
- Second At-Large Summit (ATLAS II) Declaration – (see: http://atlas.icann.org/150-representatives-70-countries-5-ralos-1-declaration/) This document contains the output of the five Thematic Groups that met in four parallel breakout sessions on Saturday, 21 June and Sunday, 22 June.
- Thematic Group 1: The Future of Multi-Stakeholder Models
- Thematic Group 2: The Globalization of ICANN
- Thematic Group 3: Global Internet: The User Perspective
- Thematic Group 4: ICANN Transparency and Accountability
- Thematic Group 5: At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN
The Declaration contains observations and recommendations that will provide the basis for the post-ATLAS II work of the At-Large community.
- ATLAS II Statement on the NetMundial Multistakeholder Statement – (see: https://community.icann.org/display/als2/ATLAS+II+Statement+on+the+NetMundial+Multistakeholder+Statement+Workspace) This statement stated the support by the ATLAS II participants of the NetMundial Multistakeholder Statement. The key points of the statement are:
- The At-Large Community, at the ATLAS II event, charges the ALAC to remain vigilant towards the promise of NetMundial being fulfilled and push for stronger commitment to the rights of Internet users.
- The At-Large community encourages the greater ICANN community to learn from the experience of the NetMundial. The At-Large community supports the progress of 1Net and welcomes the challenge of moving forward with what NetMundial started.
Successful RALO General Assemblies
As part of the ATLAS II, each of the five Regional At-Large Organizations (RALOs) held a General Assembly. These assemblies reviewed the work of the last year, discussed strategies for the next year and discussed policy and process issues of key importance to the RALOs. These meetings will form the basis of the work of the RALOs in the upcoming year.
Fayre of Opportunities
A successful Fayre of Opportunities was held on Tuesday, 24 June (see: http://atlas.icann.org/fayre/). This networking event featured two keynote speakers, Wolfgang Kleinwächter, ICANN Board Director, and Nnenna Nwakanma, Africa Regional Coordinator of the World Wide Web Foundation, an At-Large quiz, display tables by each of the five RALOs, and a live performance of a multi-stakeholder band consisting of musicians from various AC/SOs.