What it is | This final session of the At-Large Summit is designed to involve the whole ICANN community. Unlike the standard, speak-from-the-podium using PowerPoint style of presentation most usually seen at Main Session events, the Closing General Session will be presented in a unique audiovisual style. This session will bring the many distinctive and innovative aspects of the Summit to life in a manner that is personal, engaging, and truly unforgettable. We don’t want to give away all the surprises, but everyone should expect the unexpected. Get up a little earlier than you might normally and come to the Main Room of the ICANN meeting – you won’t regret it!
Why it is important | This session will give all ICANN meeting attendees a fast-paced, interactive and dynamic summary of this unique gathering of representatives of the worldwide At-Large community.
Who should attend? | All attendees of the ICANN Mexico City meeting
Interpretation | The session will be simultaneously interpreted into English, French, and Spanish
Remote Participation Options |
- Telephonic remote participation (English only)
- Live audio streaming (English, Spanish, and French)
- Chat between remote participants and those in the room (English, Spanish, and French)
Instructions on how to participate remotely may be found at this URL: https://st.icann.org/alac-docs/index.cgi?Remote%20Participation%20in%20Summit%20General%20Sessions.
Summit Microsite | The At-Large Summit microsite has complete information at: http://www.atlarge.icann.org/summit.
Background: What is the “At-Large Summit”?
The Mexico City meeting is a landmark for ICANN’s At-Large community (“At-Large” is the name used for the individual Internet user community participating in ICANN).
The whole At-Large community will be meeting together face-to-face in the ‘At-Large Summit’. Approximately 90 representatives of At-Large organisations (called “At-Large Structures”) are already confirmed. You will be able to spot them easily, as each will have a ribbon indicating their status as a Summit delegate attached to their ICANN meeting badges.
The Summit is being held 28 February through 5 March 2009 at the Mexico City Sheraton and also at the nearby Melia Mexico Reforma Hotel. All ICANN meeting attendees are invited and encouraged to attend the sessions, all of which are open to everyone.
As proposed by the At-Large community, the Summit has the following objectives:
- Develop the community’s capacity for engagement in ICANN by increasing its knowledge and understanding of the key issues confronting ICANN and ICANN’s roles and responsibilities;
- Provide an opportunity for the community to finalise and present its advice on some of the most important issues facing the ICANN community today; and last but not least,
- Highlight the successes of the community in recent years and build upon them to ensure that the interests of the world’s more than 1 billion individual Internet users are well represented in the development of Internet name and number policy.