Application for "At-Large Structure" (ALS) Designation
1. Organization's Name: The University of The West Indies
2. Organization's email address: helpdesk@xxxxxxxx
3. Organization's phone number (include country/city codes): 876-927-2148
4. Organization's address (location and postal address, if different): Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica
5. Organization's website (URL) (if available): www.uwi.edu
6. Organization's contact for ALS application (email, phone, address):
c/o MITS 5 Gibraltar Camp Way,
Mona Campus, Kingston 7, Jamaica
7. Is your organization constituted so that participation by individual Internet users who are citizens or residents of countries within the Geographic Region in which your organization is based will predominate in your organization's operation?
8. Describe your organization's constituents/membership (number, citizenship/location, defining characteristic - e.g. profession for professional societies):
fifty-five thousand students (55,000) + fifteen thousand (15,000) academics + eight thousand (8,000) administrative staff in the Caribbean Basin
9. Explain the eligibility requirements (if any) for your organization's constituents/membership (if you provide a written application for admission as a member, you may attach a copy):
The UWI represents the single largest user of Internet bandwidth in the Caribbean
10. In what language/s does your organization conduct its business?
11. Provide support for the statement that your organization is self-supporting (by answering "yes" you confirm that it will not rely on ICANN for funding):
The UWI is publicly-funded; we ALWAYS need support fro our outreach activities
12. Describe your organization's structure (e.g. governing and decision-making bodies and processes):
The ?? body is the University Council and a number of standing committees, The Chancellor is the Chief Executive.
13. Does your organization commit to supporting its individual constituents'/membership's informed participation in ICANN?
14. Describe how your organization keeps its constituents/membership informed about, and enables them to participate in, decisions regarding issues of interest:
The university has more than enough standing committees for governance. Members ALWAYS ??
15. Does your organization post on the Internet publicly-accessible, current information about your organization's goals, structure, description of constituent group(s)/membership, working mechanisms, leadership, and contact(s) (if this information currently is available, provide URLs)?
Yes, see www.uwi.edu
16. Provide information on your organization's leadership (leaders' names, positions, emails):
Vice Chancellor - Professor E. Nigel Hanes
University Registrar - Ms. G. Barrett - ??
17. What is your organization's primary goal or mission (please attach any mission or policy statement for your organization, if in writing, or provide a URL, if posted):
To unlock West Indian Potential by education.
18. What ICANN-related issues currently are of interest to your organization's constituents/membership:
Internet governance; digital wide access to research networks; ecommerce activities on Internet
19. If formed, will your organization commit to assisting the Regional At-Large Organization (RALO) for the region in which your organization is based in performing its function?