On this page you will find references to all the key legal provisions as well as decisions of the ICANN Board that relate to the format and structure of the At-Large community within ICANN.
ICANN Bylaws provisions related to At-Large
- Article XI, Section 2, Clause 4 – Provisions related to the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), Regional At-Large Organisations (RALOs), and community membership.
- Article VI, Section 5 – Division of the world into five Geographic Regions for various purposes, including the scope of membership of each of the Regional At-Large Organisations (RALOs).
Definition of Territorial Makeup of ICANN’s Geographic Regions
- The list of countries and territories within each Geographic Region are periodically reviewed and may be revised. The current list can be found at: http://www.icann.org/montreal/geo-regions-topic.htm. This list was adopted by the ICANN Board on 26 th June 2003; details may be found at: http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-26jun03.htm.
- The Geographic Regions are presently under review and information about that may be found at: http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-22jun07.htm.
Decisions of the Board Related to At-Large Organisation and Structure
- The Bylaws of ICANN provided for the Interim At-Large Advisory Committee to propose a number of fundamental elements of the structure of the community to the ICANN Board for the Board’s approval.
- Five proposals were duly forwarded after being subjected to a public comment period. These proposals were then adopted by the Board at the 26th June 2003 Board meeting.
- The At-Large Advisory Committee in consultation with the newly formed RALOs developed substantive amendments to the process by which community membership is sought and granted. The ALAC adopted the new process on 29th June 2008.
- The Board of Directors of ICANN was advised of the changes to the five proposals previously accepted by the Board and its approval sought for certain changes to to the Bylaws of ICANN integral to the changes proposed.
- The Board directed the staff to post the Bylaw change for public comments on 2 November 2007.
The Board approved the change to the Bylaws on 15th February 2008.