Application for "At-Large Structure" (ALS) Designation
Journalists' Union for Science & Technology Advancement in Africa [JUSTA-AFRICA]
- Organization's Name: Journalists' Union for Science & Technology Advancement in Africa [JUSTA-AFRICA]
- Organization's email address: justafrica2000@xxxxxx
- Organization's phone number: +255 745 789468
Organization's address (location and postal address, if different):
P. O. Box 21540, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Organization's website (URL) (if available): http://www.comminit.com/experiences/pds122004/experiences-2850.html
Organization's contact for ALS application (email, phone, address):
email: justarica2000@xxxxxx, phone: +255 745 789468, address: P. O. Box 21540, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Is your organization constituted so that participation by individual Internet users who are citizens or residents of countries within the Geographic Region in which your organization is based will predominate in your organization's operation?
Describe your organization's constituents/membership (number, citizenship/location, defining characteristic - e.g. profession for professional societies):
JUSTA - AFRICA members are practicing journalists with passion for applied sciences and appropriate technologies for sustainable development in Africa.
What is JUSTA?
The Journalists' Union for Science and Technology Advancement in Africa (JUSTA-AFRICA) is a private, voluntary, non-governmental, non-partisan and non-profit making media organization, established and registered in Tanzania.
JUSTA is working in the fields of media for natural sciences, technology, environment, health, women affairs and sustainable development nationally and internationally.
JUSTA's Broad Objectives
- To collect information on science and technology, environment, health and sustainable development and disseminate it through JUSTA publications and other media.
- To provide fora for people to learn and exchange opinions on science and technology, health, environment and sustainable development.
- To carry out field projects, education programmes, research and workshops on human development, health, environment, family planning, science and technology etc so as to enable Africans, especially rural people to be aware of the need for sustainable development.
- To exchange information materials on the field with other non-profit making organizations.
- To network with groups working on science and technology, environment and sustainable development.
- To give a voice to the people, particularly those who have not had access to the Media.
- The main function of JUSTA is to promote public awareness on science and technology, environmental problems and sustainable development and work together to find solutions.
- To conduct research and micro studies on scientific and technology innovations, environment, health, women issues and development in general.
- To organize workshops and seminars aimed at promoting public awareness on scientific effects, new technological innovations, health and environmental problems and search for solutions.
- To exchange opinions and views with grass root people, policy makers, journalists, scientists, technologists and environmentalists on current problems hindering environment management and sustainable development.
Explain the eligibility requirements (if any) for your organization's constituents/membership (if you provide a written application for admission as a member, you may attach a copy):
Membership is open to all journalists provided they can adhere to the requirements for registration.
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Brief CV or autobiography (less than 500 words)
Media areas of interest or your specialization in journalism (less than 300 words)
Mention five published, broadcasted or electronically disseminated works
MEDIUM (Title, address and editor)
DATE (of publication, broadcast or dissemination)
GENERAL COMMENTS (use extra papers if the spaces above are not enough)
- In what language/s does your organization conduct its business?
- Provide support for the statement that your organization is self-supporting (by answering "yes" you confirm that it will not rely on ICANN for funding):
- Describe your organization's structure (e.g. governing and decision-making bodies and processes):
- Does your organization commit to supporting its individual constituents'/membership's informed participation in ICANN?
- Describe how your organization keeps its constituents/membership informed about, and enables them to participate in, decisions regarding issues of interest:
- Does your organization post on the Internet publicly-accessible, current information about your organization's goals, structure, description of constituent group(s)/membership, working mechanisms, leadership, and contact(s) (if this information currently is available, provide URLs)?
- Provide information on your organization's leadership (leaders' names, positions, emails):
What is your organization's primary goal or mission (please attach any mission or policy statement for your organization, if in writing, or provide a URL, if posted):
What ICANN-related issues currently are of interest to your organization's constituents/membership:
Internet Control. Most members want the Internet to remain under the control of ICAAN and reject the idea of forming international body under the UN or any of its organizations such as ITU to oversee the Internet.
If formed, will your organization commit to assisting the Regional At-Large Organization (RALO) for the region in which your organization is based in performing its function?
Very much so!!
Mr. Aloyce S. Menda,